Accommodation and Food
There are few visitors to England who have the opportunity to stay in an historic thatched country house. We welcome you as our personal guests to Church House, our charming family home. The house, originally a farm house, dates from 1710 and is full of character but with all modern comforts.
Situated on the edge of a Dorset village, next to the ancient church and overlooking the lush valley of the river Stour, our bed and breakfast has secluded gardens where you can relax or stroll. There are many footpaths and quiet lanes near Church House where you can take a relaxing after-dinner walk.
Our three guest bedrooms each have twin beds and private en-suite bathrooms. The cosy sitting room has plenty of books, maps and guides, for you to browse through, a TV with DVD player and a real log fire on cooler evenings. Breakfast and dinner are served in the old beamed dining room around our antique dining table. All the rooms are furnished in a traditional country style giving a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere.
Hambledon - Superior Suite (category - Best)
This large room with garden and countryside views has en suite bathroom, two double (4’ 6”) beds and comfortable sofa from which you can enjoy the view. As this room is much larger than our category - Better room, we charge a supplement of GBP15 per person per night.
Croft - Twin Room (category - Better)
With en suite bathroom and twin single (3’) beds. Southerly aspect with views down Church Lane. Please note: the ceiling in the bathroom of this room is quite low and is not be best suited to very tall guests. Supplement of GBP 7.50 per person per night.
Courtyard - Twin Room (category - Good)
With en suite bathroom and twin single beds. Westerly aspect with views over gravel courtyard
We place great emphasis on the quality of the food that we serve to you at Church House. We offer traditional English cooking with occasional continental influences. When you stay at Church House you will find all dishes are homemade using quality ingredients from local producers:
• home made bread and rolls made from local organic stoneground flour
• free range eggs and chicken
• free range local Dorset meat from Holebrooks Fine Foods of Sturminster Newton
• local Blackmore Vale milk
• fresh Dorset fish delivered to the door
• seasonal organic fruit, vegetables, salads and herbs from our own garden
• fairtrade coffee.
We are very flexible when it comes to menus and can cater for any specific dietary needs you may have provided we have prior notice - please advise when you book. The menus below give you a flavour of what we offer our guests.
Cereals, fresh fruit in season, organic yogurt, juices, eggs and bacon cooked to your requirements
homemade jams and preserves
homemade bread and rolls
tea and coffee,
Three Sample Dinner Menus
Coq au Vin
Sticky Toffee Pudding
Organic portabellini mushrooms baked with garlic butter
Beef chasseur with boulangere potatoes and seasonal vegetables
Melting chocolate puddings
Pear and dolcelatte salad
Shepherds pie with seasonal vegetables
For those of you thinking about booking a stay with us at Discover England Tours here is a list of potential accessibility issues that you may wish to take into consideration.
- All the guest bedrooms are accessed via a flight of stairs, 14 steps in total. We do not have an elevator.
- The largest bedroom and the bathrooms of the other two rooms are accessed via either 2 steps up or two steps down.
- Each en-suite bathroom has a show over a bathtub requiring guests to climb in and out of the bath to access the shower.
- Some of the places we visit require visitors to walk at least half a mile (mainly the larger gardens). Guests also need to be able to negotiate rough and uneven ground, steps and slopes.